Wednesday, March 2, 2011

1865 February 26th Camp Russell

My dearest Mother

I should have
written you before, had it
not been that I expected
to see you very soon face to
face, and had thus been waiting
to give you a little surprise;
but for fear that you should
be looking for me every day,
and feel a little worried on
my account, I thought I
would drop a few lines,
thinking that perhaps they
may reach you a little
sooner than I.

My furlough went in,
several days ago, and should
have returned before this, but

[page 2]
for some reason, they have been
delayed; we think, that they
will get through by Tuesday, next
if so, I will be with you on
Friday next, providence permitting,
but if we move up the Valley,
and there are many indications
of doing so, then good-bye to
any furlough.

We think here, that it
depends entirely on the movements
of Lee. if he evacuates Richmond
and retreats West, we shall
certainly go up the Valley and
intercept him at Lynchburg,
and Sherman will do the
same from the South, while
Grant will be upon his heels,
and thus we will have Mr.
Lee, bagged: but if he remains
where he is, there will be
considerable chance of my
coming home: I have stated

[page 3]
the matter to you, fair and true,
so you can see just how I
am situated. Some of the
boys thought I had better tell
you that there was'ent no
hopes of my getting home before
Fall, but I preferred to let you
know all about it; it all depends
on whether we move or not:
if we do, why! in a Soldiers phrase,
"dished" if not "all bunck."

My health is good, never better.
Although it is getting quite muddy
here, still we take into consideration
that it is the sacred soil of Va.
and not our own free soil that
we are treading on, and
plastering our shanties and boots
with. In hopes of being able
soon to see you,

I remain in haste

Your affect. son

Hervey

No comments:

Post a Comment