Monday, February 14, 2011

1865 February 13 Camp Russell

My Dearest Mother

As John Morse is
going home this afternoon, I thought
I would send a few lines by him,
to let you know how I am progressing.
John dident expect to go until the
Col. and I went; but the col. got
his furlow through a few days sooner,
and he ^'will' go either to-day, or tomorrow.
you must not be disappointed because
I dident come with him; for I
shall surely come (Providence permitting)
in about two or three weeks at the
longest; I saw Col. Birdseye yesterday
morning and had a talk about it.
he will not forget me. the thing
is safe and sure.

I suppose ere this James has been
out and told you how he found me

[page 2]
he made us a very short visit,
but I guess he got a little insight
into soldiering; he had ought to have
come about a month or two sooner,
and seen us in our little "dog tents,"
living on our hands and knees.
that would have been a truer picture,
since we have lived four months
in that style, and but one, like
white men. We are all getting
along well, this cold weather
we keep pretty snug to our fire-
places; although I don't do any
drilling or picketing,still they
manage to keep me quite busy
drawing and issueing grain and
hay, makeing out reports, &c. &c.
half of which emenates from "red
tape"' and nothing else.

Capt. Remington came in
a day or two ago, and took command
yesterday, he is looking in good health,
he says he saw you a few days

[page 3]
since; I rec'd a letter from Jr.
Lyon a few days since. I have
commenced to answer it, but have
been interupted more than a
dozen times, I hope however to
finish it, if I have good luck.

There is nothing of
importence to communicate; we are
about a mile from the picket line
which is fired upon almost nightly
by bush whackers; we are ordered to
lay on our arms occasionally, when
there is an attack expected; I have
my revolver under my head at
all times ready for use, for some
night they might make a dash
in and steal a few horses; but it
issent likely, as we are in too
much force for them: a number of
our scouts and cavalry went over to
Moorfield the other day, and captured
the noted guerilla chief Harry Gilmore
and part of his gang: he was taken

[page 4]
by here on his way to Winchester.

It seems that a nice little
plan of his was nipped in the
bud, he had gone to his brothers
at Moorefield, where his lady-love
was to meet him and they were to
be marrried, our folks got wind
of it and came upon him about
four o-clock in the morning and took
him, as they were bringing him
into our lines, they were met by
his intended: how pleasant must
have been the meeting!

We have had some very very
cikd weather for Virginia. the
coldest known for many years --
almost as cold as it is sometimes
at home. I suppose you will
see Herbert Lord as he is at home
now; when do shoemaker, Dr. Hurd,
and Uncle Hiram think of coming
down here? dose'nt the Draft
make some of them squirm? It don't
bother us much here, we all say, Give
it to them. What do you think of
Peace? I believe we will have it

[written in the side margin on page 4]
before the Fourth of July. I've got a hat bet on it any-way, if we cant
have an honorable peace by negotiation, we will clean them out. And
then we will have it sure, write soon to your affect. son Hervey

No comments:

Post a Comment