Wednesday, January 19, 2011

1865 January 19 Camp Russell

My own dearest Mother

Hip. Hip. Hip. Hoorah, three
cheers and a vieva. I've got good news for you. I'm comng
home on a furlow shure. What has hitherto been a thing
of fear and doubt with me, is now a cert^'a'inty. Col. Birdseye
has promised me a furlow, and I am coming home with him
next month, most probably, in three or four weeks, perhaps
I shall go as his orderly, if so, I may possibly stay with
you more then fifteen days; at any rate John Morse offered
me five dollars for my chance. You must have heard
ere this of Friend Chapman's death. David Decker heard
that he was in the hospital sick, and came down to
Winchester to see him; but found to his dismay that he had
been dead several days; his, seems to us to be the most sad

[p.2]
death; of any that has occurred among us: it is truly lamentable
situated as he was. the only son, and only brother; he was a
genial, good-natured boy, and was beloved by us all. I feel
truly to symphathize with his bereaved friends at home, at his
early death; he was indeed speedily fallen; another victim on
his country's altar; yet it is a noble death; for "greater love
hath no man, than to lay down his life for his friends."

As I sat in my little cabin the other eve, preparing
my simple repast of hard-tack and salt-horse, the Colonel
brought to my tent David Decker: imagine my surprise at
seeing him before men, as of old, in propria persona; we
had quite a little visit, during the conversation Birdsye
asked me if I would like a furlow home. I readily responded
Yea, my lord; he said I could have one soon, but if I would
wait until next month, I might go with him. I told

[p. 3]
him I would wait then; so you may put it down as a
settled thing. (Providence permitting. deo-volente.) that I shall
make you a visit next month. I supose you rec'd.
my letter from Orderly Cole, as well as, all our camp news.
don't the folks make quite a raid on Mr. Erdman and Cole.

Finally, after much tribulation, the long-looked-for
box on one fingered mittens has arrived: they came too, in
an opportune moment, as it is quite cold weather with us
at present, and I think it was the very next day after they
arrived, we were ordered down to Harpers Ferry to guard
two batteries of artillery, and a five mile wagon train:
then indeed, did the mittens come into use, and the Ladies
Aid Society, was kindly thought of, by many a brave
cavalier: as Quarter Master of the company, the box came into
my care during Mr. Erdman's absence: knowing what was

[p.4]
the contents I took the responsibility to open it, and by the
approval of Lieut. Bell comanding our company, I distributed
them to the Fayetteville boys in all three companies. (F.G.&H.)
the most of whom are in our co. H. I also saw that
the packages were delivered, and sent Herbert Lord's to him
in the 22nd N.Y. Cav: he was here yesterday, by the way.
he comes over here often and makes us little visits each time.
he is soon to be promoted to Sergt. Major. which is a good
position: Herbert will be home on a furlow, about the
same time I intend to come: we intend to have a good
time, if we ever do get in F. again.

I have been so very busy making my shantie
that I haven't written as regular of late as I intend to here-
after, please pardon the digression and write soon and often
to Your loving and affect. son Hervey.

[Written in left and top margins on page 2:]
Addison Cunningham has returned from the hospital looking first
rate, he has since been detached to Custer's Hd. quarters, and has got a

[Written in top margin on page 3:]
good easy position: tell his mother about it. H.E.E.

No comments:

Post a Comment