Tuesday, January 11, 2011

1865 January 5, Camp Russell

Dearest Mother,

I had intended
to have written you long ere this,
but I have been kept so very busy,
and on the constant qui vive, of
late, that it has been almost
impossible. After receiving your
last, stating that James was on
his way towards the front, I had
been looking daily for his appearance;
finally; a week ago today, after
I had given up all hopes of seeing
him, he turned up. He came
in the morning and staid nearly
all day, as he had walked from
Winchester, three miles - he had quite
an appetite; we went to work
and cooked up some salt-horse, &c.
and had the satisfaction of seeing him
[p.2]
eat a good sub^'s'tantial meal; he
vowed it was the best one he
had partaken of in a long time
but still you know we dident
believe him. towards evening
Birdseye, James and I went down
to Winchester, where I staid all
night with him, and saw him
off the next morning; it seemed
quite singular to eat again at a
table, and sleep in a bed with my
clothes off, after five months absence
from them; as it was I slept awful
cold between the cotton sheets, and
caught a head cold, which I
haven't yet got over.

James said it was quite
different here from what he
had supposed, but in what
respect I don't know, he will
probably tell you all about his
experiences and impressions while
among us, when he returns.

[p.3]
When he went to Winchester Col.
Birdseye lent him a horse, and
by a good deal of urging we at
last got him to ride, but it was
with fear and trembling, as he said
it was twelve years since he had
been in a saddle. We let the Col.
go ahead and make several calls
while he and I walked our horses
to town; I don't think James would
make much of a Cavelier, he
would hardly keep his seat in
some of our charges, or endure some
or our raids. Colonel B. is going
home about the 15th and in the
presence of James and myself, he said
I should accompany him. Herbert
Lord was over here to-day. he goes
home to-morrow, John Morse is going
in a day or two. so you see that
about all of us boys are likely to
get home this Winter.

Well what do you think of

[p.4]
Peace? Do you believe there is
much of any thing in it?

Mr. Erman is quite hoeful
he says "he wouldent be surprised
if peace was declared to-morrow,
because when such moral victories
as was gained in the Senate last
week, takes place, - the abolition of all
serfdom - there will be no need of
any more with shot and shell."

God grant that we may
speedily have a peace on honorable
terms and or not other.

We have been having
some most awfully cold weather,
the coldest that has been known
here in years by the oldest inhabitants.

Last Wednesday we had a grand
review of all the Cavalry Corps. here in
the valley. we all passed before, and were
inspected by Sheridan in person.

I have been very busy indeed
drawing this months clothing for the Co.

I am trying to get every thing squared
up, so as to come home with nothing
to weigh on my mind.

[Written in side margin on page 4:]
I wish you would send me Elliot's address if you can get it
I haven't heard a word from him. Please write soon to your affect son
Hervey.

Lieutenant Colonel Mortimer B. Birdseye

No comments:

Post a Comment