Tuesday, January 4, 2011

1865 January 3 Camp Russell

Dear Mother

As Orderly Cole is going home on a
furlow tomorrow, I embrace the opportunity to send a few
lines to you; he and Mr. Erdman go this time, when they get
back, some one else will have a chance to go; perhaps I
may be able to come and make you a fifteen day visit before
Spring, but I will have to work it pretty sharp, for all
the boys are crazy to get home this Winter.

We moved here a day or two ago, and have gone into
Winter Quarters; we are awful busy, building our log
shebangs as we call them; it is an amusing sight to see
a regt. build their quarters, making fire-places, and chimneys,
chinking up between the logs, etc. we shall probably remain
here three or four months, perhaps until along in May --
We have had some stormy and very cold weather for a few

[p. 2]
days past. New Year's Day was the coldest we have had.
James and Lizzie gave me a good account of
theirs and your presents, you must have had a gay
time; I think Lizzie in the long run had her
share; tell Ira I want hm to write me a long
letter and tell me how his skates run, and what
he got in his stocking Christmas. The day I recd.
your last with Ira's, I rec'd one from Jennie
with one in it written by Nellie Rice, thus you see I
am favored with lots of little folks letters.
I think I am going to have easier times hereafter
then I have been having; Lieut. Bell comdg. our co.
tells me not to go out on raids with the Co. but
to remain back and attend to the Co. property; The
last time we were out there were three sets of
equipment lost, $90. out of his or somebodys else

[p.3]
Jacket; it is utterly useless for me to go out on
these raids with the boys. I am not supposed to
do any fighting, and unless there is grain or forage to
be issued, (and there scarcely ever is) my presence is
not necessary; it will save me a good deal of
hard rideing. A.L. Cunningham has been heard
from, he got in one of the hospitals at Winchester and
has been sent back either to Baltimore or Philadelphia.

How did the boys succeed with their Concert?
did you attend? Did they realize much for the
soldiers families? I hope my family (wife and brats all
included) will get their share. Excuse the brevity
of this, roll call has just blown and I must close.
Please write me soon, and tell me what was going
on during the holidays.

From your affect son Hervey

No comments:

Post a Comment