Friday, April 22, 2011

1865 April 22 City Point

Dearest Mother

As we have more traps than we can
possibly carry with us this warm weather, and as we
think of soon joining our regt Asa Ballou of Kirkville,
my tent-mate and I thought we would express home this box.
I will send it to you. it will probably be left, at Hodges.
pay the espressage, and we will make it all right, Mrs. Ballou
will either come or send after her husbands things, most of
the things cost us nothing only the charges of getting them home.
the pants if the cord was taken out and colored would make
a fine pair. The portfolio is new and worth $400. The Jacket
I have worn more or less for eight months, when cleaned it
will make Ira a good-coat. the goblet is a reminiscence of our raid.

[page 2]
The over-coat belongs to Addison Cole, the two Blankets to Ballou.
I will give you a list of my articles.

1 pr. Pants
1 Shirt
1 pr. Drawer. --blue
1 pr. Mittens
1 Port-Folio
3 bunches of Paper Dollars
2 cakes of Soap
1 metalic box of Shaving soap
2 towels
1 Goblet
1 Scarf
1 pr. Spurs

The rest belong to Ballou
except Cole's Overcoat--
Hoping that this will
reach you in safety and that
I may soon come too, I am
Your affect son
Hervey

My Drawers are blue, Ballou's are the white ones.
H.E.E.

No comments:

Post a Comment