Thursday, April 7, 2011

1865 April 7th City Point

Dearest Mother

We still remain
here in the remounted camp,
and I still continue to keep a
stream of letters flowing to
you and James; but nary a
one do get in return: I
think it is very strange, as
I have given you the
proper direction several times.
I have only rec'd one frm
James, over two weeks ago, and
that was dated Feb. 27th the
very day we broke up
Winter Quarters.

I went up to the front
the day Petersburg and Richmond
were evacuated, the number of
wounded men were enormous.

[page 2]
I came back here on a very
large train bearing the wounded.
those that were helpless were
carried inside, and those that
could, climbed up on top: to give
you an idea of the excessive
number aboard: one engine
could with great difficulty
start off with us, and the car
that I was on broke down
with the weight; while there:
I was fortunate enough to get
some baggage that would other
wise have been lost: yesterday
I sent by Express to you one
shirt, one pr. Drawers, one pr.
socks, three scarfs, and one scarf
Jim: it will not probaby come
to you in less then ten days.
I sent it the 6th, about the 15th or
16th let Ira go down to John Hodges
and see if it is there; it will
be left there by the Rail-Road

[page 3]
Stage. There will be from $1.25 to
$1.50 collected on it. please pay
and let me know if it comes all=
right: if it does and if I come
home safe and sound, I will have
sent pretty cheap under-clothing.

You will also find
in the paper wrapped about the
thing: a partial account of
our raid also enclosed you will
find a Richmond paper, that
I got to Petersburg day before
yesterday: I had a very pleasant
trip. Addison Cunningham and I went
together. we went through a part
of the fortifications, and in sight of
Fort Stedman, celebrated in the
last fight: we were not fortunate
to see Fort Hell (Union) and Damnation
(Reb.) but we think they must have
had some warm times, if they
partook anything of the nature of
their enemies, certain it is that

[page 4]
an Illinois Regt. charged and took
the latter: charging such strong
fortifications as I saw, must have
been terrible, and it is no wonder
that the number of killed and
wounded was so great. I went
through a good part of Petersburg,
it is a large fine city built mostly
of brick and in a modern style of
architecture; it is by far the finest
city I have seen in the South,
and must have been of considerable
com^'m'ercial importance, but the eastern
part, that towards our batteries is
completely shelled and riddled to pieces.
the military rail road is now
completed from here to Richmond,
and I am gong up there if
possible, one of these days, won't you
send your love and compliments to Mrs.
Jeff Davis! If so I would be the most
happy to bear them. My health is as
usual tip-top. Now do please write to
Your affect. son Hervey

[written in side margin on page r:]
Direct Co. H. 2nd N.Y. Cav. Dismounted Troops City Point Va.

No comments:

Post a Comment