Monday, December 20, 2010

1864 December 13 Camp Russell

Dearest Mother
almost every boy
that hears from home, tells me that you
have not heard a word from me in a
great while now -- I know there must be
some mistake about it; as near as possible
I've tried to write to you and James once a
week; the letters may not reach you, but
I have written and sent them; last Saturday I wrote
to you both, it is now Wednesday, and I am at it
again, and I am going to direct this in such a
manner that I think it will reach you. in your
next please let me know if
you have yet receiv. mine
of last Saturday. It is not very convenient writing
this cold weather, or I would try to write longer
and oftener, and besides my paper, and money both
have given out entirely, and hence you see that
I labour under some disadvantages.
There is nothing of importance going on
[p.2]
here: our brigade is on the extreme right of the army
we are doing picket duty continually; once in a while
we are sent out on a raid or a reconnaissance;
we expect to go into Winter quarters every day --
but you know a Soldier lives in expectancy; we
have had some very cold weather within a day or
two; the inhabitants say that it has been the coldest
they have known in years. I have been
particularly busy for two days past. it has been
the time of our monthly issue of clothing, and the boys
required quite an amount; yesterday I went over
to the 22nd Cav. to see Herbert Lord. I had a pleasant
little visit, and what was better I got some bacon and
sugar: Herbert came over and I reciprocated the visit
last evening. we went up to mr. Chaplain Erdman's
tent, and together with Mitchell, had quite a little chat.
By the way, Erdman has received his Commission,
and is Chaplain of the 2nd N.Y. Cav. with the rank
of a Captain: while Mitchell, Morse, Bolster, Capt. Morse, and
Galliway, are nothing but privates, and were yesterday
relieved of their commands; They have had a great
deal of responsibility, have tried to do all the
work of forming, and regulating the Companies, all
this they have done for $18. per month.
[p.3]
We are to have a Lieut. Bell over our com.
The other Com's. have the Copperhead officers appointed
by Gov. Seymour. They have sent in their
resignations, and the other boys expect to be
mustered as officers "in a few days" but that
has been the saying every since we left home.
I believe I had rather have my position,
and labor and pay. then all of their expectations,
and expenses. I never felt better, nor so
well, in my life. I am as fat as ahog, and
still grow fatter, and cheeker. I tent with
Jessie Barnes: whose wife is being this Winter
with Julia Morse. I wish you would step up
there and tell her that Jessie is wanting to
hear from her. There is no news of any
importance to write, and as I am ordered up
to the Quarter Masters dept. on business I must
close. I will reiterate my requests, that you
would write soon and send a few small bags,
and about five dollars, in green backs.
From your affect. son
Hervey.

[the above letter is accompanied by an envelope addressed to:
Mrs. Emily E. Goodrich
Fayetteville
Onodaga Co.
N.Y.


Box 40

No comments:

Post a Comment