Thursday, December 16, 2010

1864 November 4 Camp Stoneman

Dearest Mother
Your last with Ira's
enclosed was duly recd. I should
have written the latter part of the
week, had it not been that we
were receiving our horses; and as
their numbers increased so did my
duties as Qr. Mastr. Srgt. I have to
deal out hay and oats twice a day
to 86 horses. Besides seeing them
watered twice. I also have to drill
and cook my rations. The total of
which pretty nearly takes up my
time. I was very much pleased
to hear from Ira. He must write
to me often. I would write a
special letter if I had time. he
wanted to know about my horse.
he is a splendid fellow a large
and well-built bay, with two
[p.2]
black and two white feet, and a
white face. I rode him to day to
try him, he goes very easy, and
carries his head and tail just old
gay. he is a proud horse, and
I am proud of him -- but enough of
him, only tell Ira to send me
a name for him. We have
been preparing a good while,
and have now got a good
ready, we start for the front
tomorrow morning at 8 A.M. we
go to join our regt. which is
in the Valley. by the way of
Harpers Ferry. we intend to
reach the latter place in three
days. it is about 75 miles distant.
this P.M. I drew and issued
three days rations of oats to the
men. from the Ferry we go down
the valley. our regt. is there, and
is fourteen hundred strong. A good
many of the men that are in
[p.3.]
the hospital have been getting furlows
to go home and vote. and i am
sorry to say that we fear that
some of our men have got sick
on that account, and have thus
played out. I am glad to say
that I have no desire to go home
in such a manner. For
I'll never desert our banner
till in honor I can come."
It is getting most time for taps to
sound when I must put out
my candlel. do not worry about
me. for I shall take the best
care of myself, and put my
trust in a kind Providence. I
don't think we shall see any
fight this Fall, and if Old Abe.
goes in. (and we all think he will)
perhaps not at all. Excuse these
hastily written lines. write very
often. Your affect. son Hervey
Direct hereafter Com. H. 2nd N.Y. Cav.
Washington D.C.
[written in side margin on p. 2]
By directing to Washington
it will be sent at once to our regt. H.E.E.

An almost exact quote from George W. Root's popular song from 1862 "Just before the battle Mother" Root's words were "But I'll never leave our banner till in honor I can come."

No comments:

Post a Comment