Friday, December 17, 2010

1864 November 9 Camp near Harper's Ferry

Dearest Mother
We left Camp Stoneman Sunday morning instead
of Saturday. rode through
Washington and made by night
twenty one miles: we saddled
up early in the morning and
rode all day in the rain
and brought u by night
a mile and a half from
Frederick City we made
twenty nine miles that day,
yesterday we came here
within four miles of the
Ferry, about twenty five miles
we are laying W here to day
[p.2]
to get our horses shod and
recruit up generally; also to get
rations and forage. It has rained
two days and is quite threatening
to day. It has been quite a hard
ride, some of the boys, and quite
a number of horses have given
out. I have felt Just old
gay
all the time. I never
enjoyed better health. I will
ride all day, and never
get off my horse once,
eat my hard tack and pork,
lay down at night and sleep
like a log. I grow fatter and
still more fat. my cheecks
stick out like a squirrels
chops full of nuts, and best
of all I don't get the blues.
tomorrow morn. at day
[p.3.]
break, we start for the Valley.
There are five hundred of us,
and we are well prepared for
the Johnnies if they see fit to
show themselves. I cant write
more now as I've got to
issue four days rations of
forage. write soon and don't
fear that I will not be well
cared for. I tent with Jessie
Barnes, a cousin of John
Morse's wife. he and I make it
go first rate. Addison Cunningham
is feeling quite tired from his ride
but I guess he will come out all
right. your loving son
Hervey
Direct
Com. H. 2nd N.Y.V. Cav.
Washington D.C.
[written in side margin on page 2]
Don't direct to Camp Stoneman any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment