Friday, December 17, 2010

1864 December 3rd Camp Russell

Dearest Mother
Perhaps you
think (and with good reason too)
that I have become quite negligent
in writing to you of late; but if
you know all that we have been
through, and how busy we have been
since we came here at the front,
you would not wonder greatly at
it. We have been in two battles
on two raids, and on picket duty
every other day: besides this my
duties have been almost doubled
since our first fight. we lost two
Sergts. and hence I have had to do
besides what devolves upon me as Qr.
Mstr. Sergt., those also of a duty Sergt.
[p. 2]
We have just come in from a long
raid over into Western Virginia.
we crossed the Blue Ridge twice
and have been four days in the
mountain. Our division (the 3rd)
Gen. Custer's left here at 12 o clock
Monday night. we rode all night
through woods, mountains, across rivers,
and into ravines, and it was as black
as a Jacket, and you could hardly see
your hand before you: by morning
we were well among the mountains
of the Old Blue Ridge. and such
beautiful scenery I never saw before.
to see the sun rise among the peaks
in that high elevation, will well
pay one for a hard nights march --
In and about Lost River, the scenery
very romentic. There is a lofty
summit on one bank of the stream,
[p. 3]
and in the other one the wildest,
most rugged stratum of rocks I ever
saw. they throw Harpers Ferry completely
in the shade. Captain Vandecaarr and
other officers that knew said that they
over hang more than those at
Niagara Falls. one point was particularly
picturesque. There was just room enough
for the column to march between the
rocks and the river; a few feet up, and
painted in black paint was the words
"Lost River." some of the boys thought
it was no wonder the river got lost
in such a wild country. We left camp
with only two days rations, and was gone
four days. hence it was necessary to do
some very tall foraging. In one place, our
company alone froze on two hives of honey,
but we got pretty hungry for all of that.
Our division went out to act in
[p. 4]
conjunction with another that had gone
before, for the purpose of cooping five
thousand rebs. in the mountains, but
as usual they got wind of it and took
leg. Good many of our horses
played out, some of them cast shoes and
got lame, but my critter carried me
through bully. he is a gay horse, about the
best in the Com. A. L. Cunningham's horse
gave out, but it was more his fault than his
horse for he took no care of him; I have
lent him some money and he has not been
able to pay me yet. I am almost dead
broke, if you will send me five dollars
and trust me until A.L.C.
pays me I will be very much obliged.
You ask me if I have to go into battle?
I have been in both the fights we have
had: by strict military law I would be
obliged to go into action but it is customary for
the Qt. Mstr. & Comissary Sergts. to remain in the
rear. It is all very well to talk of being brave
and of displaying valor, but old soldiers tell
me "It's played out." for these rebs do shoot strait
if I can save any bullets holes I propose
to do so.
[written in side margin on page 3:]
If you do not hear from me quite as often or so regularily as before do not
be at all anxious, for Mosby often intercepts the mail between here and the Ferry.
[written in side margin on page 2:]
On the 26th I supose I was entitled to vote for Abe Lincoln or "any other man."
when Uncle Noble returns please make the necessary settlement with him.
[written in side margin on page 1:]
We think we shall go into winter quarters soon. And if Sherman is successful and
negotiations are opened this Winter we shall have no more fighting to do.
H.E.E.
D.K.E.
[written in the top margin on page 1:]
Please write soon and send me the money
and a few bags. from you ever loving
son Hervey

[The above letter is accompanied with an envelope addressed to:
Mrs. Emily E. Goodrich
Fayetteville
Onon. Co.
N.Y.

the letter is postmarked Dec. 8, Washington, D. C.

No comments:

Post a Comment